Marion “Suge” Knight being arraigned in court (Courtesy of CNN)

Marion “Suge” Knight being arraigned in court (Courtesy of CNN)

By: Helen Mafinejad, Staff Writer

Former rap mogul Marion “Suge” Knight was charged Monday with murder and other counts in a fatal hit-and-run in Compton, California that took place last week, according to the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s office.

The hit-and-run derived from an argument Knight allegedly had on the set of N.W.A. biopic “Straight Outta Compton” and then spilled over to the parking lot of a Tam’s Burgers.  Knight pleaded not guilty on Tuesday to the murder charges in the fatal hit-and run incident before he complained of chest pains in court and being taken to the hospital. Knight stood in the defendant’s box next to his attorney’s and attentively read the complaint against him as the hearing opened.

Wearing a Los Angeles County orange inmate jumpsuit, Knight glanced around the gallery of the Compton courtroom during the brief hearing. Later in the session, Knight was transported to a hospital after saying he was suffering from chest pains, according to Officer John Gardner of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Information Bureau.

If Knight is convicted he faces life in prison on the fatal hit-and-run in Compton last week. Knight is accused of running over two men and killing one of them following an altercation.

The man who lost his life was 55 year old Terry Carter, a former rap record label owner. The second man who was critically injured is 51 year old Cle “Bone” Sloan. Sloan’s attorney, Michael Shapiro, said Tuesday that his client is in shock and has suffered a serious concussion and might not be able to walk again. Sloan’s left foot was mangled in the hit-and-run, Shapiro stated.

Knight who was out on a separate robbery case, is charged with one count of murder, one count of attempted murder, and two counts of hit-and-run with an allegation that he committed a serious violent felony while out on bail, the district attorney’s office said in a statement. Knight has had been in trouble with the law before and has had prior convictions which makes this current charge a third strike case.

On Tuesday, Knight’s attorney David Kenner, told reporters outside the courthouse that Knight was trying to flee from an attack in the hit-and-run incident. Kenner also added, “ It’s too early to tell, but from what I understand he was being attacked and trying to get away from the attack, no more than that.”

Knight felt anguish about the death and injury from the incident, Kenner said. “It’s not his fault,” Kenner added. Carter and Knight were friends, Kenner said. They’ve known each other for a long time, the attorney said.

Another of Knight’s attorney’s James Blatt, has also said that Knight feared for his life and was trying to flee. “We feel strongly Mr.Knight did not do anything wrong in this matter. He was attacked by a number of individuals; that has already been justified by certain witnesses. He left the scene because he was in fear for his safety and life,” Blatt said.

The attorney for Sloan dismissed that version of events. “That’s absurd,” Shapiro said Tuesday.

During Tuesday’s arraignment, the initial judge that was assigned to the case, John Cheroske, removed himself because he had represented both victims in the case in his years as an attorney. Judge Ricardo Ocampo immediately took over the case.

Knight’s bail was scheduled for next Monday, he is now being held in jail without bail.